3 Major Different Types of Computer Network?
In Computer Networking there are 3 major types of Computer networks. The classification of the computer network can be done on the different basis such as
- Size of Network
- Transmission Technology Used
- Protocol of Coverage
- Area of Coverage
- Architecture Used
- Structure of Network etc.
Here we are presenting the type of networks based on the area of coverage. The network can be varied as per the requirement and need. And there are its own advantages and disadvantages of computer network.
Local Area Network (LAN)
Local Area Network itself says that it resides on a Local basis, just a small area which may cover offices and homes, etc… It has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- The network which is confined to a small area is called the local area network.
- It is limited to a few kilometers.
- It is used to connect personal computers and servers in an organization to share resources.
- Two forms of LAN such as wired and wireless.
- Interconnecting computer in wire LAN, hubs, switched routers cables are used.
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
When the computer network increases beyond the Local Area Network it is called Metropolitan Area Network. It is limited in extended up to a city or larger geographical area.
- It is used by many individuals and organizations
- It is larger than LAN and smaller than WAN
- Connoting media or MAN can be copper cables or high-speed optical cables.
- It is less secure than LAN.
- There is a high chance of data leakage.
Wide Area Network (WAN)
- It is larger than MAN. It is limited in national and international -locations
- It is consists of many different types of networks it is mixed types of hardware, topologies, protocols ad transmission media.
- The Connection media in a WAN can be optical fibers, copper, wires, satellite connections, or wireless point – to point links.
- To connect a computer network to a WAN a getaway or router is necessary.