Difference Between LAN and WAN
Here we are discussing the major differences between LAN and WAN.
- LAN is a Local Area Network that is a group of computers and network devices that can be connected together to share resources, software, and internet in the range of 1KM with the speed of 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps.
- LAN is restricted to the limited geographical area of few kilometers. But WAN covers a great distance and operates nationwide or even worldwide.
- In LAN, the computer terminals and peripheral devices are normally connected with wires and coaxial cables. In WAN communication is usually done through telephone lines and satellite links.
- The speed of data transmission is much higher in LAN than in WAN.
- The cost of data transmission in LAN is less because the transmission medium is owned by a single organization. In the case of WAN, the cost of data transmission is very high because the transmission medium used is hired either telephone lines or satellite links.
- Few data transmission errors occur in LAN compared to WAN. It is because in LAN the distance covered is negligible.
- LAN is controlled by one administrative authority whereas WAN is controlled by several authorities.
Wrapping it up,
There are different types of networks they are LAN, MAN, and WAN. You can check if you want to learn more about the Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN.