Advantages and Disadvantages of Science and Technology
In this very article, we will be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of science and technology. As we know we are in the era of tech and this keeps changing every day. Making the sense that science and technology have changed our lives very much. So let’s know the merits and demerits of science and technology.
Science is a systematized body of knowledge based on facts & human experiences. Technology is a broad term that refers both to artifacts created by humans, such as machines, and the methods used to create those artifacts. Science may drive technological development, by generating demand for new instruments to address a scientific question, or by illustrating technical possibilities previously unconsidered.
In turn, technology may drive scientific investigation, by creating demand for technological improvements that can only be produced through research, and by raising questions about the underlying principles that a new technology relies on. By discovering Science, scientists are able to create something which can improve the quality of our lives immeasurably. Man has progressed through science and technology. Science has brought about several outstanding advantages to mankind.
Advantages of Science and Technology
- The vast improvements made in the field of medicine have served to lengthen our life expectancy and to reduce the rate of infant mortality.
- The discovery of mechanization, better seeds, and better techniques of irrigation and pest control, has worked to increase productivity levels on farms.
- In transportation, railway, modern ocean liner, jet plane, and motor vehicle have made our lives more comfortable and provided great possibilities for modern commercial development and industrialization.
- The invention of the computer has assisted the process of calculation in laboratories
- Technology has made communication much simpler in recent times.
- Science has brought about groundbreaking solutions to numerous deadly diseases.
- Man is able to explore the space extensively because of the wide-scale development in technology.
- Our life has become healthier and longer.
- Modern hygiene, sanitation, medicine and surgery are conquering more and more physical and mental ills day by day. We now know and experience the joys of good health and longevity.
Disadvantages of Science and Technology
- Machines have led to unemployment.
- They have polluted water and atmosphere. They have caused noise pollution.
- Factories have led to slums where human beings live in squalor.
- Our moral and spiritual progress has failed to keep pace with our scientific progress.
- We have allowed science to master us instead of using it as our servant.
- Machines make us mechanical, deaden our sensibilities, stifle our creative talents, force mechanical regularity, uniformity and boredom upon us, increase our wants and desires, and tend to make us selfish, greedy and cruel.
- Geographical distance has, no doubt, vanished, but the gulf between the minds and hearts of man has widened.
- Machines have given man leisure, but man misuses it to get cheap and vulgar entertainment which destroys his physical and mental health.
- Again, science has put in our hand’s such fiendish weapons as a nuclear bomb, the guided missile and means of chemical and biological warfare.
Wrapping It Up
Today, technology is very important because it is used for almost everything, and like everything, technology has advantages and disadvantages. We are in danger of destroying ourselves with these monstrous means which, ironically, are our own creations. Rightly used science can bring heaven on earth. Wrongly used, it can turn this earth into hell by destroying civilization